Wisconsin Committee on Occupational Safety and Health
A Brief History of WisCOSH
In 1978 concerned unions, workers, and legal and health professionals founded WisCOSH, Inc.. We've grown steadily and now represent workers throughout the state. Our membership includes union locals, individual union members, physicians, lawyers, health and safety workers, and other interested professionals and workers.
Services We Offer
- Quarterly newsletter : in print and electronically
- Technical assistance to workers and unions
- Help with health and safety contract language
- Help in representing your interests to OSHA
- Referrals to legal and health professionals
- Reference library
- Support in using federal and state laws
- Organizing assistance on safety and health
WisCOSH is an independent organization that works closely with the Wisconsin State AFL-CIO, unions, individual workers, and other occupational safety and health (COSH and other) groups across North America.
Our Membership and Structure
Membership is open to individual workers, unions and other organizations interested in improving workplace health and safety conditions. Dues are paid yearly. WisCOSH is governed by a 15 member board, which is elected annually by the membership.
Education and Training
WisCOSH provides workshops and training on a wide range of job health and safety topics, including:
- Worker's Compensation
- How to use OSH Act and "Right To Know" laws
- Compliance with new CDC Guidelines for Tb with RPP training for Nursing Home and LTC Workers
- Health and safety contract langauge
- How to establish health and safety committees
- Public employee health and safety rights
- Women's issues
- Exposure to workplace carcinogens
- Record keeping of job-related accidents and illnesses
- Legal rights to refuse work
- Recognition and control of hazards
- RMI [repetitive motion injuries],
- VDT exposures,
- and more...
WisCOSH activities inform:
- individual workers,
- union members,
- safety representatives,
- health professionals
- and many other interested individuals or groups.